Monday, October 12, 2009

Where does the time go?

Life, as usual, seems to have run away with me again. Things having been moving at the Ewalt house, Orson is into everything and learning all sorts of new behaviors, Matt has decided that we need to start taking off road/back country adventures in his SUV and the doctors have decided that I may have Celiac disease and have therefore put me on a three month gluten free trial diet.

As far as the gluten free diet, I have gotten over my original panic and we are settling into spending lots more on groceries, trying out new recipes and eating things that look like bread but don't quite taste or feel like it :) In truth, it hasn't been all bad, its fun to be in the kitchen experimenting and getting excited about creating and I did make some killer lemon squares the other day. So far, I haven't felt a big difference in how I feel but I was warned that it could take all three months before I did.

The off roading adventures started yesterday, we all piled in the truck (Orson, dogs and all) around 10 am to go on the adventure, only to have the car not start. So we all jumped back out and Matt went to go pick up a new battery. He got back, got the thing in, we all piled back in and started the 2 hours drive up into the mountains. When we finally arrived at a beautiful little lake, we got out to have lunch (realized that Matt's hill top parking spot was too windy) piled back in to move the truck.....didn't start. A nice family that was there fishing, came over to help, Orson and I and the wife from the other family got into their minivan and took off to try and get cell phone reception, to call a tow dice. We finally found a police officer (who called a tow truck for us) and then headed back to the lake. Upon arrival, the truck was nowhere to be seen....Matt had gotten it started and headed out to find us, luckily he saw us drive by and turned around. So after saying thanks a million times, we set out to try out the off road trail. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Matt did and the fact that we were scared to turn off the truck meant that any hiking was out....but we made it home safely and Orson only kept us up all night in retaliation for making him sit in his car seat for so long.

Speaking of Orson....this last month he has decided that sleeping is no fun and has started waking up during the night more often then he did as a new born. We have tried letting him cry (read scream in Orson's case) it out, soothing him to sleep, nursing him....basically you name it we have tried it, and none of it works. Any ideas would be very appreciated :)

Not a whole lot else has been going on, we took a trip to Apple Hill and brought back a bunch of apples that I need to turn into pies and sauces.

We also went to the zoo.

The weather has turned cool and pleasant and so we have been spending lots of time in the backyard...Orson is working on climbing up the slide.

He is also starting in on finger foods....his first choice was the smiling top of a pepper!

I taught Orson, Lucy and 4 or 5, 3 or 4 year-olds an art class at MSN that went well. Orson loved getting his hands into the finger paint and making a picture! And we are working on our holiday plans, who wants Super Orson at there house for the holidays?