Friday, December 10, 2010

Holiday Party



Everyone came over for our playgoup Christmas party today. It was tons of fun! Orson is blessed with so many great friends here in Sacramento, and I am too. To see all of these kids running around, playing nice (mostly), learning to share and talk, it so amazing. It is hard to think back to last year when they were all just barely crawling!



I made dough ornaments before everyone came over and then let the kids paint them to take home. I am going to put a picture of Orson on the one he made for our tree.



We all brought a handmade or used gift to share with each other. Here they are under our tree (I figured this will be the most presents under it this year, so I better get a picture)

Before you see this year...here is last year, so different!

Gift opening pictures (I wonder what everyone got?)

Utter chaos and so much fun!

Everyone brought such great stuff to eat! I had some of requests for the recipes I made, so I thought I would post them here:


Carrots, apple and goat cheese pie
* 1 Whole Foods Gluten Free pie crust
* 2 cups carrots
* 2 green apple (Granny)
* 1/4 lb butter
* 2 cloves garlic
* I big log of goat cheese (probably around 8 oz)
* 1 tbsp curry powder
* 2/3 cups cream
* 2 eggs
* pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degress.
2. Grate the carrots and apple.
3. In a pan, melt butter. Add curry and garlic. Heat for 30 seconds.
4. Add grated carrots and apples
5. Heat for 8 minutes over low heat.
6. Beat cream and eggs and 1/2 of goat cheese. Whisk thoroughly to homogenize the mixture. Add some pepper.
7. Put carrots and apple in pie crust.
9. Crumble over the remaining goat cheese.
10. Pour cream + eggs.
11. Bake for 30 minutes.

Muled Wine in the Crook Pot
1 bottle cheaper red table wine (slightly sweet)
2 Cinnamon sticks
1 lemon (sliced, rind on)
1 orange or tangerine (sliced)
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tbs of nutmeg
pour everything into crook pot and let simmer away till warm (then turn crook pot to warm and enjoy).

I love Christmas and the holidays...and, as I was cleaning up, I realize that even if you have nothing else better to be thankful for this year, you can always be thankful for living in the era of vacuums and dish washers!

No comments: